For those of you who are avid fashion blog readers, this will be old news to you. But I can’t not give some Life Styled love to one of my favorite ad campaigns for Spring: Burberry featuring young Hollywood’s classiest style icon (in my opinion), Emma Watson. As if she wasn’t adorable enough, putting her in a Burberry trench just pushes her over the edge for me.
The equally satisfying fall/winter campaign had its own fab moment with some dark wools, oversized Mary Poppins-esque bags, and a heavenly weathered leather trench – sport that piece with nothing underneath, and you would honestly be the chicest flasher ever to walk the streets. Just saying.
Burberry fall/winter 2009 campaign. Photo by Mario Testino
Anywayyyy, now that warmer weather is almost upon us (or so many of us would like to think), I love to look forward to the season ahead with Burberry’s crisp khakis, strong shouldered trenches, and the “spring fling” vibe of Emma’s ads with her deliciously shaggy haired suitors. Just don’t confuse the boys in these photos – one of them is her little bro, Alex Watson – can you guess which one?
Burberry Spring/Summer 2010 campaign. Photos by Mario Testino.
If after seeing this campaign, you would like to place your name on the “Sign Up” sheet next to mine, you may also want to feast your eyes and ears on this little peak behind the scenes at the campaign photo shoot.
The countdown to 3/5 is in full swing! Ever since I saw the first teaser trailer of Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland, I was smitten. I am thrilled that such a fantastical story, which exists only as a cartoon in most of our memories, was put into the hands of someone who can really give us something to feast our eyes on… in IMAX 3D! Whether you’re excited for Johnny Depp’s quirky portrayal of the Mad Hatter, or like me, all the amazing costumes and set design, it seems like everyone is getting Alice fever!
I can’t help but consider the possibility of an Alice themed tea party in my future. Just imagine all the fun! I’m thinking Shabby Chic linen napkins with crown rings, vintage mismatched teacups, Sprinkles cupcakes, and hat making. Most importantly, what would Alice wear?
The Queen of Hearts’ duds would suit her better in Vegas than my tea party (and she wouldn’t be invited anyway – I like my guests’ heads to stay on, thank you very much). And she’s the only one I could imagine actually spending $15,000 on this white mink coat and wearing it – blech!
Even the cosmetics companies have joined in on the fun. The Urban Decay Alice in Wonderland eyeshadow palette is said to be their best one ever, and I’ve heard great things about OPI’s nail polish collection, which includes colors like “Off With Her Red” and “Mad As a Hatter.”
Alice in Wonderland has always been a source of creative inspiration for all sorts cultural outlets. One of my favorite NYC spots to hit up with girlfriends is Alice’s Tea Cup for countless cups of Earl Grey and amazing pumpkin scones, and I am still trying to get my hands on one of Urban Outfitters’ “Drink Me” mugs. But this Gwen Stefani video is probably my favorite Alice themed piece ever made:
If you’re as excited for this movie as I am, keep the countdown going. Just remember – don’t be late!
As a fashion obsessed chick, I look forward to awards season. On Hollywood’s biggest nights of the year, we can always count on some great fashion to “ooh” and “eek” over. Today, we’re taking an elemental look at all the red carpet looks from Sunday night’s Golden Globes. Of course, on any red carpet, certain elements are hard to avoid: Metal – Elegance. Fire – Drama. Water – Avant-Garde. At a black tie event, it’s difficult to locate the elements of comfort – Wood, and Earth, because on such a fancy night, people like to step out of their comfort zone, and into the spotlight. Here are some of the night’s key Fashion Feng Shui moments…
I can’t wait to see how the stars will be channeling the elements for the rest of the season! We know we can expect lots of Fire at the Grammys, and Metal at the Oscars. Stay tuned!
As if you don’t have enough things to drool over, The Life Styled shop is officially open for business! Featuring some of my top picks from the archives, as well as many hand selected covet-worthy fabulosities, the store is sure to keep you and your wallet occupied from now on. New items are being added on a daily basis, so keep checking back as often as your obsession sees fit. The below Shop icon will always be waiting for you in the sidebar, so give it a click and shop away!
To kick off the fun, check out a few of my favorite things from the store:
I recently had the pleasure of reindulging in one of my favorite childhood classic musicals, Bye Bye Birdie. I love Ann Margret’s youthful, feminine portrayal of Kim McAffee in this movie – especially the scene in which she changes out of her school clothes into her cozy home clothes while belting out “How Lovely to be a Woman.” Having just been pinned by her dreamy, wimpy boyfriend, Hugo Peabody, she can hardly contain her womanly giddiness.
My favorite part about this whole sequence is how she’s singing about how she loves dressing up and putting lipstick on, all the while changing into such a cozy, ungirly outfit. It has all the quintessential “nesting” staples: oversized sweater, boyfriend jeans, arygle socks, baseball cap.
If you haven’t seen this film, rent it immediately, and make sure you’re wearing your uniform (above). I guarantee you’ll love it.
Some of us need a little fun in our lives. Maybe you worked too hard last year or went through a tough time, and have forgotten to live it up from time to time. Or perhaps you’re just looking to make a connection with those around you, whether they be old friends or a potential to-be-determined soul mate. Either way, you need to get noticed. Allow me to show you how you can use Fire to help you seek some pleasure this year.
Your Look’s Key Words: Dramatic. Fun. Captivating. Flirty. Alive. Style Elements: Sharp shapes. Sparkle. Bright colors. Body con. Animal.
1. Throw a party. You don’t need a reason. Just a bunch of your friends, some great munchies, and libations for all. Whether you’re in the mood for a game night, girls night, or Jersey Shore night, hosting a party will put you in your Fire element. No matter what, laughs and hugs are guaranteed.
2. Join Twitter. If you haven’t already, this is a must. At first glance, it may feel a bit like a way dumbed down version of Facebook, but it’s actually a super fun way to stay connected with friends (and celebs), and stay abreast of their daily musings.If nothing else, it’s another way to procrastinate from that boring work you’re supposed to be doing.
3. Do something daring. Go skydiving. Take a strip tease class. Get a Brazilian bikini wax. Drive a Vespa. Doing something you’d normally be too scared to do will get the adrenaline flowing, and make you feel like you’re on top of the world.
It’s hard to imagine a year without Fire energy. It’s the element that allows us to connect in a meaningful way with our favorite people, and makes it OK to be all about you every now and then. It’s what keeps us sane, and gives us things to look forward to, like those fabulous studded heels you’re going to wear to Friday happy hour. Speaking of, gotta go…
After a lazy and indulgent holiday break, the beginning of the new year often brings on a heavy load of… guilt. Whether you have a few pounds to shed, or need to start make long strides towards a big goal you’ve set for this year, a Wood intention will help you get it all done.
Your Look’s Key Words: Movable. Sporty. Natural. Style Elements: Plant based fabrics. Vertical shapes. Blues and greens. Athletic or utility pieces.
Tips to Woodify Your Life
1. Move your body. It may sound obvious, but getting the blood flowing doesn’t just help you stay physically fit – it keeps your brain working at its full potential, thus getting you fully ready to reach all your goals this year. While the thought of exercising might be the last thing you want to do, you’re whole being will benefit from a little movement each day. So grab the dog and go for a stroll, or set up a sledding excursion with your friends (a few trips up that hill will certainly have you hurting tomorrow).
2. Set daily goals. There’s nothing like the feeling of accomplishment you get when you reach a goal, no matter how big or small. If you set attainable daily goals for yourself, you’ll end each day feeling great about what you did, and looking forward to what the next day has in store.
3. Go organic. These days, it’s hard to know what you’re really eating unless you grew it yourself. While it can be a bit pricier, eating organic is not only better for our world, but it’s healthier for your body. Check out this great article on how to shop organic, by the domestic goddesses at Haute Apple Pie.
Wood energy is something we can all incorporate into our lives in the new year, no matter what your resolutions may be. It’s all about moving forward, and accomplishing your goals so you can achieve a better future. Who can’t identify with that?
Perhaps 2009 was a year of big changes for you. You got married, moved into a new home, had a baby, or experienced any other detours from your usual norm. If you’re feeling like you need to ground yourself and settle into your life a bit more, Earth is your intention for 2010. Here are lots of fun ways to nest during hibernation season.
1. Get into the kitchen. There’s no better way to get comfy than with delicious food! So throw on an apron, dust off the stack of cookbooks, and get some yummy smells circulating through the house. Not only is it a fun way to “connect” with your home, but it will produce a tasty reward for you and those around you!
2. Learn to knit. I’m convinced this craft was invented to bring Earth energy into our lives. You work with nubby textures to create a cozy blanket or scarf, perhaps that you might give as a gift to a friend or loved one, and you do it as your settle into your favorite chair and sip a cup of tea. Please!
3. Better your home. You’re going to be spending a lot of time there this season, so why not take the opportunity to do a few of the projects you’ve been hoping to get to for months? Paint and distress a side table. Bring in some seasonal greenery. Add a cute doormat. It’ll make you feel that much happier when you walk in the door.
With our crazy busy schedules and long daily To Do lists, it can be easy to forget to stop, take in our surroundings, and enjoy the little things that make our routines great. If you can make steps towards feeling more stable this year, you’ll be all the more ready to take on whatever future changes life throws at you.
If 2009 left you feeling a bit out of touch with yourself, and you need to spend some time reflecting on the current state of your life, Water is your intention for January. Whether you’d like to open your mind to new things, or get in touch with your creative side, here are some ways to bring Water energy into your life and your wardrobe this season.
Your Look’s Key Words: Creatve. Different. Interesting. Mysterious. Style Elements: Flowy or sheer fabrics. Dark colors. Asymmetrical shapes. Ethnic patterns.
1. Start a new hobby. We all have things we’ve always wanted to take up – felting, decoupage, wine, photography – you name it. The new year is the perfect time to get some new offbeat skills. Imagine the possibilities if you started a new hobby every year…
2. Keep a journal. Those of us looking to get more in touch with our inner mind might enjoy writing our thoughts down day to day. It’s the perfect creative outlet, not to mention a great way to document your state of mind throughout the year.
3. Practice yoga. If the exercise aspect doesn’t appeal to you, do it just to free your mind. In a day of stress and responsibilities, an hour of yoga is one of the best ways to be alone with your thoughts. You’ll walk away feeling liberated, and mentally stimulated.
4. Travel. If you have the means, now is a great time to plan a trip. Whether you’re jetsetting to a faraway land, or road tripping to a nearby town, experiencing a new place is a great way to find new ideas and inspiration for your life.
Even if you don’t consider yourself the creative type, it’s important for all of us to keep grasp of who we are, and our brains stimulated. You never know what might pour out of you when you let your mind sore!
In the new year, after all the holiday clothes have been put away, you’re left with nothing but the extra pounds you’ve steadily been putting on since Thanksgiving, and a complete drought of fashion inspiration. It can be hard to know where to start with your wardrobe in January, when you can’t imagine stepping outside your door period in the subzero temps, let alone try to look cute when you do it. While those sweatpants might look pretty appealing right about now, let us not forget that this is the time to wear our goals for the new year on our sleeves! Dressing your intention is a way to show the world which direction you are heading in, and most importantly, to remind yourself who you want to be today, this month, or this year. This week, we’re taking a look at the five elemental resolutions, and how you can incorporate them into your look this season. So keep your eye out for which element speaks to your goals for the year, and get ready to incorporate it into your new year’s look!
A Metal New Year
If your life is feeling a bit out of control, and your goal is to pull it all together into a clean, organized, and elegant state, Metal is your intention for the new year. Whatever your essence, here are some ways to bring some Metal energy into your look, in whatever capacity you’re comfortable with.
1. Make lots of lists. I like to make my To Do List for tomorrow the night before, so when I wake up, I know exactly what my day is going to consist of. Try the Russell + Hazel One Day at a Time notepad set (featured above) for all your listing needs.
2. Choose a theme. Whether you’re organizing your office, kitchen, or closet, it’s fun to assign a specific theme to your project – like Shabby Chic, Futuristic Clear, or Zen. It gives you a criteria when searching for storage boxes, folders, pens, recipe binders, hangers, etc.
3. It’s all about receptacles. It’s impossible to get organized unless everything has a place to go. Every time I score a cute jewelry tray, basket, or box, I get a feeling of put togetherness. When everything has a home, you avoid clutter in your space, and in your life.
Getting organized can be tons of fun, once you push yourself to finally get started. Need to go through that huge stack of accumulating mail? Hop on down to Staples, get some cute file folders, and file away over a glass of Cabernet. Can’t open your closet door without multiple pair of shoes barreling down on your head? Get some shoe shelves or storage boxes, and sit in front of your closet with a glass of Sauvignon Blanc (see the theme?). When you’re done, you’ll be left with a beautiful space, and a beautiful year.